2013 Project 52

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Birthday Fun on the Farm

For Calder's special day, I decided to take him to visit a local farm. Unfortunately, the visit was not all that I had hoped (not even close). I had been talking up our trip to the farm for almost 2 days, and Calder was VERY excited, so I nearly panicked when we pulled into the parking lot, and ours was the ONLY car in the lot. Then, when I couldn't figure out how to actually get into the farm -- I really panicked. I really didn't want to spend the day driving around the metro area in search of another farm, so I double-checked their opening time (which was almost 2 hours prior to when we arrived) and eventually decided to walk down a road marked 'Service Vehicles Only'. After a very long, hot walk (of course, I forgot the stroller) we finally saw animals! What a glorious sight! Calder ran right over to the cows and waved at them and talked to them.
The highlight of the visit was when we met Virginia the cow. The park ranger who introduced us was the nicest guy...but he really had no clue when he tried to engage Calder in a long diatribe about all the different kinds of cows as well as the process of milking a cow. All Calder really cared about was petting Virginia -- which he eventually got to do. He even got to touch one of her udders!
All in all, we saw about 6 cows and 2 horses. I was really hoping for a little more than that, but I was going to take what I could get at that point. Calder repeatedly asked to see chickens, and I had to tell him that the chickens were taking a nap and we'd have to see them next time. It worked!

No comments:

Quotes